Wednesday, February 18, 2009

CHAPTER 3 : GRAPHIC INSECT





STUDY SKETCH

For this project, I decided to research the behavior, anatomy, and physical characteristics of the black widow spider. I looked at various photo's from the internet and saw different viewpoints and behaviors of the spider, seeing the interesting features of the joints in the legs and the feet tapering to such a small tip. I think that even though they are such menacing creatures, they have a unique appearance (enjoying the view safely from a photograph). I enjoyed pulling out my sketchbook and constructing my series of studies. With each drawing, I focused on qualities and positions of the legs.




GRAPHIC REDUCTION 1

For this study, I translated it into a final black-and-white using a simple black drawing pencil. I emphasized each joint of the leg with white space and liked the outcome.





GRAPHIC REDUCTION 2

I scanned this graphic reduction using the inverted colors of the scanner program to reveal the contrast.




GRAPHIC COMPOSITION

I scanned this study and opened it in PS. For the web effect, I used the line tool with fiberglass style to give it a lighter delicate look.


CONCLUSION

I am pleased with the graphic reductions and composition. The challenging side of this assignment was deciding which spider position to use. I believe the study of the black widow truly shows their image.



No comments:

Post a Comment