Sunday, March 1, 2009

Project 4b

I am learning many things in this class. I also realize that I am not happy until I create more than one composition. What I had in mind for these compositions was a patchwork type of effect.

Summer

I selected summer for this composition and decided on a triad color scheme using orange-red (for the poppy), blue-purple (for the iris), and yellow-green (for the dogwood leaves). The contrast color I chose was blue in the photo of the sky with the fence post and yard art. The background color I agonized over for the longest time. I had the color wheel in one window and InDesign in another. My final decision was the blue purple to offer a surprising color result bringing out the effectiveness of the iris and depth to each photograph. Red-orange corresponds to pleasure, domination, and hunger for achievement. Purple combines the stability of blue and the energy of red and is associated with wisdom, dignity, and independence. Yellow-green indicates sickness and cowardice, and that doesn't sound like a fun color, but it was one of the triad colors I saw in the photos. Although this is not necessarily my favorite, I wanted to share it so we could be reminded that summer is not far away.

Summer

I used the same photos in this composition with the same triad colors in mind: red-orange, blue-purple and yellow-green. I experimented with the primary colors for borders around each photo for effectiveness. Using a light pink for the background (contrast) supported the overall concept of the colors.

Winter

Once I started the project of season composition, I could not stop. I kept creating until I had three and decided to post them all. I obsessed over colors and their meanings. I thought for hours about photos I had and what else I could find through the lens of my camera. Since it is winter, not much out there to see from the perspective of many, but I found a few prizes yesterday afternoon. Although the photos themselves are lacking color other than white and gray, I found beauty in the ice and bark of the tree. Texture is the quality of the composition. Red-purple (emotion, royalty), blue-green (healing and protection), yellow-orange (desire and pleasure) were triad colors I chose for the photo borders in this composition. I chose the light aqua for the background for contrast, feeling that it resembles the iceberg and presents a positive effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment