Wednesday, March 25, 2009

PROJECT 5

CONTRAST STUDIES

GEOMETRIC/ORGANIC



I played with a few materials for this project and came up with a simple pencil drawing for geometric/organic. In this composition, I drew the Greek keys, Olympic emblems for the comparative placement along with the plant to show variety and harmony. My goal was to create visual interest by presenting an opposite perspective allowing the geometric images to complement the organic.

NEGATIVE/POSITIVE



While working on the contrast studies project I decided to share a photo that I took a few months ago. The frost on the windshield shows a negative/positive image I found contrasting visually. The viewers eyes are drawn to the image and captures attention.
What do you see?

ROUGH/SMOOTH



This is a photo that shows a rough versus smooth contrast. The personality of the glass draws attention to the viewer in the overall composition.Keeping with the black and white objectives in the book I changed the colors to black and white in photo shop.


ROUGH/SMOOTH




I drew this with charcoal and almost didn't post it. My skills with charcoal drawings are not the best - YET. I wanted to bring out the smoothness of the rose petals against the rough fence in hopes to bring harmony to the overall composition. Funny; although I am learning the language of art-yet struggle at times to draw what I want the viewer to see. Did my best and will continue to develop my skills.

LETTER FORM STUDY



I was trying to organize my letter forms and was about to walk away because I thought that I would never have use for it. Then I realized that no decently crafted letter form is useless or bad. I will use this in the future. So many type fonts to choose from - so little time! It was a challenge making the font composition legible to read.
I created typefaces to achieve variety for this composition. My choice of color typeface (pastel color fonts combined with black and white) shows a simple figure-ground relationship. The arrangement is logical and each is placed against a neutral background to give the individuality of each part to read clearly with the others. I chose red for the background in attempt to show an ambiguous figure-ground arrangement - but the results did not assume a visual vagueness. The red background does show contrast, though. It creates a visual interest and complements the neutral squares where they work together.
With the center typeface, I decided to alter the display for the purpose of visual anomaly. I wanted it to serve as the focal point, focus of the layout, and found that it is an distinction of uniqueness.

No comments:

Post a Comment